Tuesday, January 31, 2012

...we interrupt this program...









...for a rant.

I stopped at Home Depot tonight to pick up some spray paint for a project. I used the self-checkout line.

I scanned the first can and a message saying "please show ID to cashier" popped up. I thought "I'm paying cash, so meh". I ran the 2nd can over the scanner and it wouldn't scan. Tried it again...no luck.

The cashier finally stepped over and said "Oh - let me clear that for you. We have to see ID to keep kids from purchasing spray paint to huff"

Is there a "WTF" icon on blogspot? If so, I'd use it about eleventy billion times in this post.

Making people (regardless of age) show ID to purchase 2 cans of spray paint, or a package of cold medicine, or whatever other substance has been relegated to that grey area of "not illegal, but we're going to give you agita for purchasing it because we *can*" is NOT going to stop people from huffing or making illegal drugs.

What it's going to do is lose you business over the long run. Touchy-Feely-Nanny legislation like this accomplishes nothing. But I guess it *is* easier than tackling those silly issues like the highest property taxes in Christendom (I was purchasing said pseudo-contraband in NJ).

Gah.

2 comments:

  1. The evidence is clear, on every side, piled high and wide, big government is intruding on our lives. Consider becoming active to reduce the intrusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tachitup - I bow to your use of Nick Lowe lyrics.

    :)

    ReplyDelete